Thursday, April 20, 2017

Zion Riverside Food Centre

For some reasons, I seldom eat here (70 Zion Road). This food centre is a landmark, albeit a small one, with a decent variety of local eats. While I'm pretty sure I've been here before at some point in the past, I don't remember when was the last time.


Lau Goh Teochew Chye Thow Kway (Stall 26) was something that was recommended. I heard these guys used to be a legend half a century ago but I couldn't taste the fish sauce or chai por in their chai tau kuey. The current guy running the stall is the son of the original owner. 

I suppose a little bland would be an appropriate description but it didn't taste bad. By the way, the way to place an order for their carrot cake would simply be to point at what you want from the pictures.


No 18 Zion Road Fried Kway Teow (Stall 17) always has a queue as far as I can remember. A lot of people come here for this particular stall. The noodles were sweet, peppered with bits of fried lard and a little wet. I prefer something that's dryer. It's not bad but unless I get a serious craving for char kuey teow, I'm not queueing for this again.


The pleasant surprise was Soon Lee Pig Organ's Soup (Stall 13). These guys are a little different from the regular pig organ's soup stall. The dark speckles that you see in the soup are fried bits of garlic which lends their aroma to the soup. Don't know of anyone else that does that. The broth also doesn't inherit much sour from the kiam chye - which is normally not the case for most pig organ soup. The flavour profile is hence not the usual. With some pepper, this bowl kicks ass.

Soon Lee's soup includes tender thin slices of pork belly. This is mention worthy because most stalls that also have sliced pork belly in their soup tends to also mean rubbery pork belly.

No comments: