Saturday, January 09, 2016

Kee Hock, Clementi Market & Food Centre


I've never had beef mui fan before so here's my first from Kee Hock (Clementi 448 Market & Food Centre, Blk 448 Clementi Ave 3, #01-43). While I wasn't exactly floored, I think there's a few reasons why I think these guys are one up above the rest. At least for me they are. 

For a start, their gravy wasn't overly starchy and actually has flavour. The other thing that impressed me was that they didn't sodium bicarbonate the meat to death; which was actually a rarity amongst the local Chinese stalls. One could actually taste that it was sliced beef rather than a formless protein matter with little texture. 

A bit more intensity from a richer beef stock, a bit more generosity with the greens and perhaps with the spiking of a little sliced chilli padi and/or fermented black beans this could have been much more impressive. Their sliced fish hor fun looks pretty good too, maybe the next time.

No comments: