Sunday, July 06, 2014

Kopi gu you (coffee with butter)

Heap Seng Leong, butter kopi

This is local coffee, not a fancy roast. But it's pretty decent local coffee. And then a slice cold butter melting in it. I've been wanting to try this for some time since I've heard of it some years back. Recently, I came across its mention again and that was pretty much what prompted me to seek out a cuppa. Apparently, this coffee with butter used to be a rather popular beverage back in the day. It's not seen commonly these days and Heap Seng Leong (10 North Bridge Road, #01-5109) is one time capsule of a local coffeeshop that still serves them. How did it taste? The buttery flavour was actually quite mild, but it did make the coffee noticeably smoother which I believe is the appeal. Sitting in this coffeeshop sipping one as time subtly decelerates is quite the experience by itself too.

I think I'll try making this at home. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.