Saturday, September 24, 2011

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, Tiong Bahru

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, Tiong Bahru

The flavours here (Blk 57 Eng Hoon Street, #01-88 Tai Kwang Huat Coffee Shop) were a trip down memory lane for me even though my hazy memory told me that it used to taste much better in the past. There's a number of these Hainanese curry rice joints over the island and most of them couldn't capture the memories of what I had when I was young. 

This particular stall probably came closest because of their pork chops which had a batter that was different from what's being sold in other places. I believe it includes the use of biscuit crumbs and that these pork chops weren't sliver thin. Which was how I remember them as a kid. Was this the best representative of Hainanese curry rice? I couldn't say, but I think it's pretty good. Love the over simmered eggs that were packed with the flavour of the dark sauce they've been in. The simmered cabbages weren't as nice as I remember them though. Sure didn't beat Tai Dong at that.

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, curry squid

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, chap chye

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, pork chop

Loo's Hainanese Curry Rice, braised pork belly eggs

No comments: