Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Ootoya again and again!


I'm getting to like Ootoya quite a bit. Even though the Atka mackerel didn't endear itself to me because it had so many bones which made them a hassle to eat. We've actually been back here a couple of times again and tried out more of their teishoku set dinners. The appeal was because these guys weren't very expensive  and the food was unpretentiously comforting and unsophisticated. Those were pretty compelling reasons.


The fried chicken with orange sauce set was unexpectedly good. I was thinking that the orange sauce would be viscous taste like the local sweet and sour variety. It wasn't as thick. The flavour was savory and sour.


I also liked their Japanese hamburg. I'm thinking that these guys could just give Ma Maison a run for the money. The quality of the beef patty was pretty good. This one I had was with the plum sauce option (there is also the regular demiglace option as well) and daikon. Tasted very much like how I imagined it. Pretty glad that their beefy patty wasn't ruined by excessive fillers. I could see myself looking forward to this.


The tonkatsu was a little disappointing. The meat was fine but batter felt a little too thick and greasy for my liking. I'll pick Tonkichi over this any day.


There was a cold spinach dish with sweet black sesame paste and some black beans. Liked it.

3 comments:

HairyBerry said...

i've been there a coupla times in the same month! lol! dude, check out the sweet/sour chicken as well. i had reservation about the dish (i mean, what can be so different from our local version, right?) but i guess the sauce made the difference. good stuff.

Joseph Thia said...

WOah the jap food looks awesome!

LiquidShaDow said...

@Nic
I have a feeling that I might just head down there again soon.

@Lagolas
Indeed it was satisfying. Go try it some time.