Sunday, August 16, 2009

District 10, Windstedt Road


This was an unexpected trip down to Luca's new bistro (10 Windstedt Road, #01-17, tel: 65 6738 4788) beside the nice neighbourhood of apartments at Monk's Hill. Really serene location at night despite being located not too far away from the bright and noise filled Newton Food Centre. I remember having read about District 10 some weeks back but it didn't really register then. I was also hoping upon reaching the place that perhaps, it would be a little different from the regular bistro. I suppose it was just in the end, another bistro. The food wasn't too bad but nothing was special. It was a nice spot to hang out though.
 

Started off with some creamy green pea soup with roasted ham and mint. I had in mind cubes of roasted ham in the soup but it turned out to be a couple of strips of bacon and there wasn't the slightest hint of mint in the soup. In the end, what I had was just a mashed pea soup. Viscous but not really creamy. Wasn't too bad. Just not what I had in mind. There was some calamari which were decent but nothing really much to write about unless you've never had calamari before and had absolutely no idea what they tasted or looked like. I decided on the rigatoni with wagyu meatballs for a couple of reasons. There wasn't really much else on the menu that I found interesting and I wanted to prove myself that these meatballs would taste exactly like regular meatballs. True to my guess, it did taste like regular meatballs. Mixed with little bits of herbs which I felt would have been better without. Tossed in a lightly tart-ish tomato based sauce. I was also disappointed that they forgot the shaven Parmesan on the top but didn't feel like asking for them. Maybe it was a little too much to expect for these guys to be a little more like Bontá. Like I said, a really pleasant place to chill, but not terribly exciting in the department of food.
 

2 comments:

red fir said...

Just as I've expected of this place. On an unrelated note, the rigatoni reminded me of the awesome rigatoni pasta from Le Papillon.

LiquidShaDow said...

It was nothing like that rigatoni. The disparity in taste is actually too far apart for parallels. Even if they were the same kind of pasta. :p