Saturday, February 07, 2009

Pasta Brava re-visited

moon shaped ravioli with pumpkin, red capsicum sauce and cream

It's been quite a while since I last ate here and I've been wanting to try out their oft recommended pumpkin filled raviolis for the longest time. This trip puts me a little bit closer into covering what I've been wanting to eat from their menu since it hasn't changed since the first time I've visited and probably also, for a very long time. I suppose that means that if you're looking for something new, it's not going to work for you. On the other hand, the favourites remain good.

We started off with some very decent fried calamari. If I had to do some comparison here, I would have to say that I would pick the ones over at Da Mario over this since their batter was more flavored and one could just eat them the way they are minus any dips. These ones had batter that was a little more bland, but made it up with their mildly spicy tomato dip.

pappardelle with ragout of duckling and mushroom

Based on my previous visits, the pastas here have been mostly a good experience and this one continues that tradition. I'm quite taken in by the pumpkin filled ravioli which was almost dessert like in some ways from the sweet pumpkin puree stuffings. Together with that robust and creamy capsicum sauce that lingered in its flavor serveral burps later after dinner. What I thought was that it's definitely an interesting mix of flavors in a captivating way. The duckling pappardelle turned up tossed generously with shredded meat and a flavor that I initially thought was slightly underwhelming. I was expecting a stronger flavor from the ragout, but was reminded that this was suppose to be the meat of young ducks. The result was still a hearty pasta which I really wouldn't mind having again in subsequent visits.


The dessert on the other hand, and quite similary to a previous experience didn't quite make the mark for me. It was described as an apple pie with mascarpone and ricotta and then a la mode. There was definitely generous portions of semi crunchy chunks of apple in the hot and soft crusted pie, but I was left wondering where in the world did all that mascarpone and ricotta go.

2 comments:

red fir said...

You've just induced a massive craving for the pumpkin ravioli & a revisit to this place. This stuff is awesome & sweet heh. I'm keen on the apple pie though.

LiquidShaDow said...

You could give it a try, but I really didn't think much of the apple pie. The raviolis were really good though. Will be difficult for me not to order them again when I go back.