Friday, September 26, 2008

Hai Nan Xing Zhou Beef Noodles, Toa Payoh


This Hainanese beef noodle store (Blk 22 Lor 7 Toa Payoh Lor 7, #01-06) apparently has its share of media accolades displayed on the front. Sadly I found it to be very unremarkable. Presumably, it's suppose to be one of the better beef noodle stalls but I was hard pressed to differentiate it from a generic one from food courts apart from the salted vegetables and their blend of chilli. Right down to that starchy gravy and mass produced beef balls. The tendons were very tender and the accompanying soup was a little sweet, but nothing to go out of my way for. On the bright side, I've discovered that Benny that used to operate out of Maxwell has shifted to the coffeeshop just a block away (Blk 18?) from this hawker centre.

3 comments:

red fir said...

Any idea where the one from Scotts Picnic food court moved to? That stall serves one the best beef noodles in my memory and with the correct cincalok chili. Ate there everyday during school days.

D said...

I actually like this place quite abit, but I've always gone for the soup version. The 5dollar one really packs on the meat, tripe and tendon. Their cincalok chili is pretty good too.

LiquidShaDow said...

@ice
I've no idea

@d
I don't think they gave me cincalok chilli that day. It certainly didn't taste nor look like it.