Monday, July 07, 2008

Baikohken, North Canal Road


If you're wondering about the amount of golden yellow at the top, this butter corn shoyu ramen from Baikohken (7 North Canal Road, tel: 6534 3808) normally doesn't come with so much butter. I had topped the bowl up with extra butter, corn and an egg. I did manage a couple of spoonfuls of the broth before everything was mixed up. Found it to be both less robust and salty in comparison with those at Ramen Santouka. The thick sliced braised pork was also rather lean. It was also soft that there were several occasions, I thought that it could have been tuna as ther meat crumbled rather easily. This was quite unexpected. As usual, I found the noodles to be too soft for my likings.

What I did like was their charshu don - a bowl of rice with generous chunks of the braised pork topped with scallions. Turned out to be simple yet tasty comfort food. Didn't see this rice bowl coming from a ramen shop becoming what I enjoyed the most. Am pretty sure I'd come back for this again. Even if the soft crumbly pork tasted like tuna.

1 comment:

red fir said...

The butter and corn is enough to tempt. :)