Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cafe Oliv, East Coast Road


I think this establishment has the capability go some ways with the food it serves. Cafe Olive (220 East Coast Road) is a rather affordable option which costs less and provides equivalent or better quality than the run of the mill family restaurants in town. The cake they have here is that there isn't any GST and service charge. I dropped by on the notice from a reader regarding their tenderloin sandwich which I did not regret. In fact, I was quite surprised by what I had and judging from what I saw from the other tables, there were other offerings from the menu which look good enough for me to come back. I saw some good looking braised lamb shanks going around the tables.

Salty egg soft shell crab biscuit fritter

This would make the second soft shell crab in recent years that I've had that was good enough to be noticed amongst the gamut of many others. Most soft shell crabs today have become unremarkable and many are poorly done to the point that they have become quite boring. To the point that I've really been avoiding them. I picked this starter based on the recommendation of a friend and it turned out quite good. For one, the entire of the exterior of the crab was crispy and the insides were hot, soft and juicy. And at $4.90, there wasn't anything to gripe about the price. I only wonder what does the salty egg of the crab refer to because I was expecting it to be covered in some salted egg yolk sauce and it didn't really taste anything of that.

tenderloin foccacia

This tenderloin sandwich was surprisingly good. It's beats the ribeye sandwich from Marmalade Pantry which now pales badly in comparison. And this goes at about half the cost at $10.90. There's a doneness option and the piece of tenderloin cut for the sandwich was noticeably heftier than the latter ribeye. Shame on Marmalade Pantry. I believe that the buttered and lightly toasted foccacia stood out more than a ciabatta in a weak wasabi sauce. That said, if anyone does know of good steak sandwiches, please drop in and give me a heads up. For now, this recommendation is the best I've had around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liquidshadow

Glad you enjoyed the sandwich. It's a pity that I could not compare this with Morton's sandwich. I got scared away by their notorious pricing.

I think i got a slight variation of the tenderloin sandwich. I remembered my bread was a fluffy square herbed bun. Hmmmmmm damn i feel like going back to Cafe Oliv for another sandwich hahah

Cheers

LiquidShaDow said...

Are you refering to the one by Mortons as in the ones that they serve at the bar from the Mortini's night? If that's it, then it's free with orders of martinis at the bar. I haven't been there myself, but I hear that there are very limited servings to go around.

Now wouldn't it be awesome if there were prime rib sandwiches too? :p

Anonymous said...

Yea.. I am referring to those free 'controversial' sandwiches that float around Morton's bar. LOL

I am not suprised if the servings are limited. Prime Rib sandwiches... hmm! =)