Saturday, March 24, 2007

Brotzeit, Vivo City


I didn't know what to expect of Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant (#01-149-151) which was opened towards the end of October 2006 in Vivo City. There hasn't been much that is notable about German cuisine on this sunny island beyond the pork knuckle and larger variety of sausage offerings (which I was sure is but a scratch on the surface compared to what's available in Germany). So I came here not wanting for very much except good beer

First impression of the place is that service was very spotty and almost, dare I say....... atrocious? After having been opened for about half of a year, I would assume that teething issues should have been more or less have been ironed out. Reservations were poorly handled and I'm still not quite sure if it was allowed for the outdoor seats. There seemed to be disagreement between different staff about this matter. To top it off, I was faced with a really sad attempt at a joke from the serving staff about getting me to share a table that has already been occupied by 3 ladies. I didn't think it was funny at all. Not a tiny bit. I've never been a proponent of numbered ratings for anything because quantifiability is subjective and three dimensional. But here's a 3 out of 10 for service.

The redeeming quality of Brotzeit was probably the food and drinks. The variety is comparatively, larger than Paulaners which actually did not have that much to choose from. Food portions were local sized. Not that I was expectig bigger. Speaking of which, Brotzeit serves Paulaner's brews so I don't know if there's any relation between the two.

The pork knuckles had a fragrant crispy skin and meat that wasn't excessively fatty. Apart from the beers and sausages we also had the fladen which were the German pizzas. I don't really know what about the pizzas here that makes them German. I'm quite sure I can find similar pizzas. It tasted quite mundane, making them pretty boring in comparison with what Magma offered in the way of cream cheese instead of the regular tomato base.


I don't mind coming back for the food. There's also the appeal from the selection of drinks on tap. The service crew needs some work but otherwise, here's not bad for a hangout after work.

2 comments:

Junie said...

eh.. meaning to say u went alone?

LiquidShaDow said...

Actually I wasn't, was with 2 other people.