Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Spizza, Harbour Front


I heard that this place is run by the same people that did Senso. I've actually been eyeing it for a while and today, I finally managed to get the opportunity to come by. This restaurant was packed to the brim at about 7.30pm. With a short queue forming at the door. But it was a holiday's eve after all. 

We started dinner with some antipasti call Nerone and the Suberbo salad.

Suberbo

The Suberbo was a very simple salad. Frankly, I was quite disappointed that it did not go beyond anything more exciting than a small mound of shredded lettuce. I counted three average sized mussels and a couple of shrimps. I think they could have done a lot better with the miserable seafood portions. When I read prawns on the menu, I expected real prawns and not just small shrimps things. On the bright side, this salad was appetising. The dressing consist of just some black pepper and lemons. Simple, refreshing and it really made me more hungry through the 20 minute wait for the pizza. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Shrimp No.1 and No.2

Nerone

The Nerone was simply mixed grilled vegetables, mozzarella cheese and some Parma ham as described in the menu. The quality of the cooked vegetables here are sadder than that of Riciotti. I was honestly quite disappointed by this poor show. Those grilled vegetables lacked even the char aroma. I mean, it says grilled vegetables on the menu. If I had known that this was it, I'm pretty sure I would not have ordered it. The saving grace of this dish for me were actually the sun dried tomatoes and the mozzarella cheese. Imagine that. The dressing here was likewise simple with just olive oil and some pepper.

The highlight of dinner was the pizza. And this was Isabella.

Isabella

I was very relieved that Spizza actually did pizza nicely. From the crispy thin crust to the gooey cheese. What the menu described as rucola salad is actually just some leaves that were layered on top of the pizza. Sprinkled over the top were some black pepper. This one was actually the large sized pizza at $19.00. I'm pretty sure I could have finished it all by myself. It's that good. Unlike Pizza Hut that basically loads you up with their thick oily crust. I think I don't mind coming back for Spizza's other pies.

Dessert was tiramisu. I think I've mentioned a couple of times that they tend to have variable standards and is often disappointing for me. But occasionally, I take a leap of faith. For some reasons.


Comparing to the one from Menotti, this has a larger cream to cake ratio. The cake wasn't not as liquor soaked, but it was quite pleasant. Enjoyable, but nothing that really wowed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had Spizza at Holland V, Serangoon Gardens and Killiney Road. The quality differs at times - my favourite calamari kinda sucked at serangoon gardens. And the chicken soup, though fantastic at Killiney, was awfully salty at Holland V. The pizzas are still great though :)

LiquidShaDow said...

The next time I'm down, I'll remember to pass on the sides and just stick with pizza. Well, maybe some calamari to pass the waiting time...